Timely and concise analysis at the intersection of technology, retail, and policy. I’ve organized the relevant posts by category.
A variety of book reviews. My interests tend to veer towards retail, technology and antitrust.
- Book Review: Break ‘Em Up by Zephyr Teachout
- Reengineering Retail by Doug Stephens - A review
- Review: The Curse of Bigness by Tim Wu
- Review: The Fall of Wisconsin by Dan Kaufman
- Review: Hit Makers by Derek Thompson
- Nixonland: How a book about Richard Nixon helps explains Donald Trump
- Review: Devil’s Bargain by Joshua Greene
- Review: The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
- Book Review: How Not to Network a Nation
- Book Review: The Most Powerful Idea in the World by William Rosen
- Book Review: The New Deal by Michael Hiltzik
- Classic Read: How Democrats Killed Their Populist Soul
- Book Review: Rana Foroohar’s Makers and Takers
- Book Review: Dawn of Innovation by Charles Morris
- Jon Gerner’s The Idea Factory
- Factory Man: The rise and fall of the American furniture industry
- At what cost was China’s development miracle?
- Book Review: Peter Thiel’s Zero to One
- Book Review: Eric Schlosser’s Command and Control
- Book Review: “Young Money” by Kevin Roose
- Classic Reads: Simon Johnson’s “The Quiet Coup”
- Average is Over and Obama’s New Manufacturing Initiative
- Charlie LeBuff, Detroit: An American Autopsy, and a New Business Model
Insight into the tactics and strategies consumer products companies use to navigate the ever changing world.
- How King Arthur turned flour from a commodity CPG to a branded CPG
- The business impact of COVID-19 on 4 major CPG companies
- Brand Licensing – Incremental or transformational growth?
- Will Coronavirus Destroy Small CPG Companies?
- Unilever, an Agile Supply Chain, and the decline of Scenario Planning
- General Mills: From foodservice to retail, the impact of coronavirus
- Information lag. Coronavirus and the CPG supply chain
- The Campbell Soup Company — Processed food growth in a fresh world
- When negative externalities threaten Dart Container, it threatens back
- Reading the tea leaves; Unilever looks to move Lipton
- Consumer Packaged Goods and Quality Issues on Amazon
- CPG Innovation: Why New Benefits Aren’t Going to Save Gum
A variety of writings on economic concepts with an eye towards sustainability.
- Marc Andreessen misses the point with It’s time to build
- Fair Trade: The arcane reason small retailers can’t compete with chains
- Yelp, Antitrust, and Google
- The perils of privatizing public goods
- Autonomous Taxibots: Who owns the future?
- Mercantilism: Donald Trump’s Economic Policy
- How do you rebuild America? Stop treating government like a start up.
- Why Outsource?
- Thomas Piketty’s Inequality Wake Up Call
- Income Inequality: Why Conservatives are Wrong
- Hypothetical History: Talking Points with Eisenhower
- Climate Change and Supply Chains
- Obama, Thurgood Marshall and the Importance of a Long Term Vision
Random thoughts and considerations.
- Where did Zoom come from?
- It’s 2017 and the impossible has happened. I agree with Ross Douthat.
- Change Management is the tactical implementation of strategy
- The Dangers of Data Journalism
- To Hate or to Adhere
- And We Wonder Why the GM Recall is a Diaster
- The Problem with Thought Leadership
- Mangini’s Mess – Or How Not to Manage
- Leadership Lessons from Robert Oppenheimer
Insight into the tactics and strategies retailers use to navigate the ever-changing world. A special eye towards competition policy and the goliath in the room–Amazon.
- Dollar General looks to move up the wheel of retail with Popshelf.
- What is Walmart looking to acquire with TikTok?
- Why Influencer Marketing may be more Dollar Store than QVC
- Walmart proves that omnichannel can compete with Amazon after COVID-19, but can others?
- Retailer Shelf Space: Another potential loss for CPG Manufacturers
- Counterfeit products on Amazon is harming CPG innovation
What did we learn?
Earnings call analysis across the CPG and Retail industries